Whenever I get to feeling out of sorts here in Ecuador, it helps me to be thankful for my many blessings here. There is lots of delicious healthy food, there are lovely people, it’s an inexpensive place to live and work and it’s a beautiful country.
On the days when there is no running water, the electricity goes out and there is mud up to your knees, it helps me to read this poem, Bennacht, which is the word “Blessing” in Gaelic:
Beannacht ~ (Blessing)
On the day when
the weight deadens
on your shoulders
and you stumble,
may the clay dance
to balance you.
And when your eyes
the gray window
and the ghost of loss
gets into you,
may a flock of colors
indigo, red, green
and azure blue
come to awaken in you
a meadow of delight.
When the canvas frays
in the curach of thought
and a stain of ocean
blackens beneath you,
may there come across the waters
a path of yellow moonlight
to bring you safely home.
May the nourishment of the earth be yours,
may the clarity of the light be yours,
may the fluency of the ocean be yours,
may the protection of the ancestors be yours.
And so may a slow
wind work these words
of love around you,
an invisible cloak
to mind your life.
— John O’Donohue, from his book,
Anam Cara, (“Soul Friend” in Gaelic)
Do you have any special quotes or poems that always lift your spirits? I’d love to know about them! Please post below. Thanks!
- For More on the Life and Work of Mary Anne Dorward, please go to: www.maryannedorward.com
- For Professional Speaking Coaching and Speech Writing, please go to: www.myrealvoice.com or for video http://bit.ly/1fmLjuL
- To Learn more about my book, “Words To Thrive By: Powerful Stories of Courage and Hope,” please go to: www.wordstothriveby.com or for video http://bit.ly/1hlyGoc
- To Buy The Book, go to Amazon: http://amzn.to/L9NYkl
- Note: All photos in “Footprints in Ecuador: An American Woman’s Life Changing Journey” have been taken by Mary Anne Dorward. All photos and writing on this blog are protected under the U.S. Trademark: Words To Thrive By. For more information, to schedule an inspirational speech or interview, please contact Mary Anne at firstname.lastname@example.org.