One of the things I have really enjoyed about living here in Ecuador has been learning to cook some of the “Comida Tipica” or typical Ecuadorian food.
Here are some photos from my recent cooking class with my wonderful teacher, Maritza Barreño here in Crucita. I learned how to make tortillas con queso:
The dough for Tortilla con Queso is made from grated criollo (organic corn boiled on the cob and then grated fine or cornmeal from a bag) corn, egg, salt and a little water, all mixed by hand.
Tortilla con Queso balls are made from the dough as in the bowl shown below here:
The Tortilla de Queso dough balls are next pressed open and a pinch of grated queso fresco, or fresh cheese is inserted as you see Maritza doing in the photo below.
Then the the balls are closed and pressed into the round shape below and placed in a baking pan. Tortilla con Queso balls are now ready for the oven!
After about 45 minutes in the oven, our delicious hot Tortillas con Queso are ready to eat!
Ecuadorians love these in the afternoon with a cup of coffee. Most Ecuadorians eat their biggest meal at lunch so a few of these treats with a cup of coffee tide them until bedtime!
Tortilla de Queso is one of my very favorite foods served here in Ecuador!
Thanks for visiting my blog! I will be posting on other South America attractions from the perspective of Americans living in Ecuador in my future blogs!
PS: Would you like more ACCURATE, AUTHENTIC and UP TO DATE INFORMATION about ECUADOR?
WORDS TO THRIVE BY FOR WORLD TRAVELERS: FOOTPRINTS IN ECUADOR by Mary Anne Dorward
If you would like to read my very First Impressions of Ecuador on this blog, please go to: http://wp.me/47vLx
- For More on the Life and Work of Mary Anne Dorward, please go to: www.maryannedorward.com
- For Professional Speaking Coaching and Speech Writing, please go to: www.myrealvoice.com or for video http://bit.ly/1fmLjuL
- To Learn more about my book, “Words To Thrive By: Powerful Stories of Courage and Hope,” please go to: www.wordstothriveby.com or for video http://bit.ly/1hlyGoc
- To Buy The Book, go to Amazon: http://amzn.to/L9NYkl
- For more information, to schedule an inspirational speech or interview, please contact Mary Anne at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Note: All photos in “Footprints in Ecuador™: An American Woman’s Life Changing Journey” have been taken by Mary Anne Dorward unless otherwise credited.
- All photos and writing on Footprints in Ecuador ™ are a Copyright 2014 by Mary Anne Dorward. All rights reserved.